Diabetes Prevention & Education Center
Patients and members of the community are offered self-management support through a variety of educational sessions at our Diabetes and Family & Community Medicine Physician Offices, at Abrams Public Health Center. At the center you’ll find a large demonstration kitchen, a classroom and a fitness assessment facility. Our complementary programs – from diabetes support groups to classes about healthy food choices and cooking demonstrations – are offered daily and provided in both English and Spanish. Programming is provided from Banner – University Medical Center and affiliated community partners.
- Canyon Ranch Center for Prevention and Health Promotion
- Banner – University Medical Center Department of Nutritional Sciences
- University of Arizona School of Nursing
- Banner – University Medical Center Sports Medicine
- The Garden Kitchen
- Diabetes Prevention Program at YMCA
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Group: Meets on the third Wednesday of every month
- Diabetes Support Group: Meets on the second Wednesday of every month
- Cooking Demonstrations: Use all your senses while learning tips and food facts that you can put to use at home. Join us twice a month for new recipes:
- First Wednesday of the month
- Third Wednesday of the month
- Diabetes 101: Newly diagnosed with diabetes or just have questions about it? Come and get your questions answered a doctor who specializes in diabetes. Learn the basics of diabetes and ways to manage it.
- Can I Prevent Diabetes? Find out ways to lower your risk of developing diabetes. If you have a family history of diabetes or are concerned about developing it, then join us and learn ways to reduce your risk.
- Intensive Insulin Therapy: Multiple Daily Injections: Find out how the most powerful insulin management strategies and tools can help you better manage your diabetes.
- Healthy Eating: A Nutrition Basics Series: Get the basics to put you on the right track to health
- Basic Carbohydrate Counting: Learn how to effectively count how many carbohydrates you consume to better manage your blood sugar levels.
- Ask a Pharmacist: Do you have questions about your medications? Meet with a pharmacist and get your questions answered.
Periodic Guest Speakers
Check for availability
- Exercise is Medicine: Discover how a daily dose of exercise can be the best prescription you need for health.
- Go, Go Gadgets for Physical Activity: Review popular devices and apps developed to assist with physical activity.
- Physical Activity - Use it or lose it: Find out why it is important to your health to maintain an active lifestyle.
- Food as Medicine: Get evidence based facts about the hidden health benefits of everyday cooking ingredients and how to incorporate them into your everyday eating pattern.
- Personalizing Weight Management: Discover how knowing your inherited features can improve your chances for sustained weight loss.
- Fitness 101: A beginner’s guide to exercise: Starting a fitness program is an important decision, get the right information to safely and effectively make fitness a lifelong habit.
Clases en Español
- Terapia Intensiva De Insulina: Descubras cómo las más poderosas estrategias y herramientas de administración de insulina pueden ayudar a controlar mejor la diabetes
- Diabetes 101 Controlaré mi diabetes: ¿Le acaban de diagnosticar que tiene diabetes o es solamente que quiere hacer algunas preguntas sobre la diabetes? Venga para que un doctor de la Clínica de Diabetes le conteste sus preguntas. Obtenga conocimientos básicos sobre la diabetes y aprenda cómo manejarla.
- Diabetes Care Record / In Spanish: Take this with you to your diabetes health-care provider visits. Talk to your doctor about how you are doing and what you can do to improve your care.
- Blood Sugar Log / Valores de glucosa (azucar) en sangre: Use this to record your home blood sugar testing results. Share the results with your diabetes health-care provider.