Diabetes Prevention & Education Center
The Diabetes Prevention & Education Center, at our South Campus - Abrams Building, provides both our patients and members of the community self-management support through a variety of educational sessions. Within the center you’ll find a large demonstration kitchen, a classroom and a fitness assessment facility. These complementary programs - from diabetes support groups to classes about healthy food choices and cooking demonstrations - are offered daily and provided in both English and Spanish. Programming is provided from the University of Arizona Medical Center and affiliated community partners.
We partner with several University of Arizona College of Medicine
- Canyon Ranch Center for Prevention and Health Promotion
- UAMC Department of Nutritional Sciences
- UA School of Nursing
- UAMC Sports Medicine
- The Garden Kitchen
- Diabetes Prevention Program at YMCA
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Group: Meets on the third Wednesday of every month
- Diabetes Support Group: Meets on the fourth Tuesday of every month
- Cooking Demonstrations: Use all your senses while learning tips and food facts that you can put to use at home. Join us every Wednesday for new recipes:
- Diabetes 101: Newly diagnosed with diabetes or just have questions about it? Come and get your questions answered a doctor who specializes in diabetes. Learn the basics of diabetes and ways to manage it.
- Fitness 101: A beginner’s guide to exercise: Starting a fitness program is an important decision, get the right information to safely and effectively make fitness a lifelong habit.
- Can I prevent Diabetes? Find out ways to lower your risk of developing diabetes. If you have a family history of diabetes or are concerned about developing it, then join us and learn ways to reduce your risk.
- Intensive Insulin Therapy: Multiple Daily Injections: Find out how the most powerful insulin management strategies and tools can help you better manage your diabetes.
- Healthy Eating: Get the basics to put you on the right track to health
- Small Changes for a Healthier You!:Discover how small changes can lead to big results. Meet with clinicians from the University of Arizona Weight Loss Center to learn about long term weight management.
- Diabetes is a Family Affair – We all need support: The power of support - explore how social support is an important tool in diabetes self-management (blingual session).
- Carbohydrate Counting: Learn how to effectively count how many carbohydrates you consume to better manage your blood sugar levels.
Periodic Guest Speakers
Check for availability
- Exercise is Medicine: Discover how a daily dose of exercise can be the best prescription you need for health.
- Go, Go Gadgets for Physical Activity: Review popular devices and apps developed to assist with physical activity.
- Physical Activity - Use it or lose it: Find out why it is important to your health to maintain an active lifestyle.
- Food is Medicine: Get evidence based facts about the hidden health benefits of everyday cooking ingredients and how to incorporate them into your everyday eating pattern.
- Personalizing Weight Management: Discover how knowing your inherited features can improve your chances for sustained weight loss.
Clases en Español
- Demostración de Cómo Cocinar: Utilice todos sus sentidos mientras aprende consejos y datos sobre alimentos que usted puede poner en práctica en su hogar.
- La diabetes es un asunto de familia - Todos necesitamos apoyo: El poder de apoyo...explorar cómo el apoyo social es un instrumento importante para el control de la diabetes
- Terapia Intensiva De Insulina: Descubras cómo las más poderosas estrategias y herramientas de administración de insulina pueden ayudar a controlar mejor la diabetes
- Diabetes 101 Controlaré mi diabetes: ¿Le acaban de diagnosticar que tiene diabetes o es solamente que quiere hacer algunas preguntas sobre la diabetes? Venga para que un doctor de la Clínica de Diabetes le conteste sus preguntas. Obtenga conocimientos básicos sobre la diabetes y aprenda cómo manejarla.
¡Haga cambios en su estilo de vida para mejorar su persona!: Descubra cómo pequeños cambios pueden llevar a grandes resultados.
- Diabetes Care Record: Take this with you to your diabetes health-care provider visits. Talk to your doctor about how you are doing and what you can do to improve your care.
- Blood Sugar Log / Valores de glucosa (azucar) en sangre: Use this to record your home blood sugar testing results. Share the results with your diabetes health-care provider.