Diabetes Prevention & Education Center
The Diabetes Prevention & Education Center, at our South Campus - Abrams Building, provides both our patients and members of the community self-management support through a variety of educational sessions. Within the center you’ll find a large demonstration kitchen, a classroom and a fitness assessment facility. These complementary programs - from diabetes support groups to classes about healthy food choices and cooking demonstrations - are offered daily and provided in both English and Spanish. Programming is provided from the University of Arizona Medical Center and affiliated community partners.
We partner with several University of Arizona College of Medicine departments as well as community organizations to bring you these programs, including:
- Canyon Ranch Center for Prevention and Health Promotion
- UAMC Department of Nutritional Sciences
- UA School of Nursing
- UAMC Sports Medicine
- The Garden Kitchen
- Diabetes Prevention Program at YMCA
- Type 1 Diabetes Support Group: Meets on the third Wednesday of every month
- Diabetes Support Group: Meets on the second Wednesday of every month
- Cooking Demonstrations: Use all your senses while learning tips and food facts that you can put to use at home. Join us twice a month for new recipes:
- Diabetes 101: Newly diagnosed with diabetes or just have questions about it? Come and get your questions answered a doctor who specializes in diabetes. Learn the basics of diabetes and ways to manage it.
- Can I prevent Diabetes? Find out ways to lower your risk of developing diabetes. If you have a family history of diabetes or are concerned about developing it, then join us and learn ways to reduce your risk.
- Intensive Insulin Therapy: Multiple Daily Injections: Find out how the most powerful insulin management strategies and tools can help you better manage your diabetes.
- Healthy Eating: A Nutrition Basics Series: Get the basics to put you on the right track to health
- Basic Carbohydrate Counting: Learn how to effectively count how many carbohydrates you consume to better manage your blood sugar levels.
- Ask a Pharmacist: Do you have questions about your medications? Meet with a pharmacist and get your questions answered.
Periodic Guest Speakers
Check for availability
- Exercise is Medicine: Discover how a daily dose of exercise can be the best prescription you need for health.
- Go, Go Gadgets for Physical Activity: Review popular devices and apps developed to assist with physical activity.
- Physical Activity - Use it or lose it: Find out why it is important to your health to maintain an active lifestyle.
- Food as Medicine: Get evidence based facts about the hidden health benefits of everyday cooking ingredients and how to incorporate them into your everyday eating pattern.
- Personalizing Weight Management: Discover how knowing your inherited features can improve your chances for sustained weight loss.
- Fitness 101: A beginner’s guide to exercise: Starting a fitness program is an important decision, get the right information to safely and effectively make fitness a lifelong habit.
Clases en Español
- Terapia Intensiva De Insulina: Descubras cómo las más poderosas estrategias y herramientas de administración de insulina pueden ayudar a controlar mejor la diabetes
- Diabetes 101 Controlaré mi diabetes: ¿Le acaban de diagnosticar que tiene diabetes o es solamente que quiere hacer algunas preguntas sobre la diabetes? Venga para que un doctor de la Clínica de Diabetes le conteste sus preguntas. Obtenga conocimientos básicos sobre la diabetes y aprenda cómo manejarla.
- Diabetes Care Record: Take this with you to your diabetes health-care provider visits. Talk to your doctor about how you are doing and what you can do to improve your care.
- Blood Sugar Log / Valores de glucosa (azucar) en sangre: Use this to record your home blood sugar testing results. Share the results with your diabetes health-care provider.